Tuesday, May 27, 2008

All-in-one Website Design/Hosting

Recently I came upon several artists we are acquainted with that got their website at an all-in-one place. It is a place where you can get hosting, domain, and then you can "design" your own site by simple selecting colors, layout and such but not actually design it. Which of course means most of the sites there end up looking very similar because there isn't any design to it. Those kind of sites also really limit what you can do to them. You can't have add-ons that might enhance your website. You can only go with what they allow. But really that isn't my problem with them even though I don't like it as it doesn't really express anything unique about the artist. But my main problem is that the company owns the domain. And yes I read their faq saying they will "happily" transfer it over but I wonder how hard it is actually. And their faq answer to why you should just let them handle the domain is VERY misleading. It is basically scaring the customer into just leaving it to them. If any of those artists want to move their site so that they can design something different or add on anything, the all-in-one site might fight or not relinquish the artist's website. So they are trapped in it. And that bothers me a great deal.

And just to note I am not upset that the artists didn't go with us to design their website - yes it would be great if they did but I do understand why people go with the all-in-one. It is quick, inexpensive and easy way to get yourself on the web. I would rather them choose any designer over places like the all-in-one because of all the problems that can come up with an all-in-one type site.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin