Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Art & Me

My artistic passion started out when I was a little girl. I remember taking a lined piece of loose-leaf paper and a stubby pencil (or whatever I could get my hands on) and just started to express myself with lines and other scribbles. It was not just a way to pass the time, I enjoyed it. And that passion never changed. If anything, it has only deepened over the years.

Art emerges from the moment. Sometimes it has a conscious symbolic meaning, other times it's an unconscious expression; by just letting my brush, my pencil become an extension of emotion onto a piece of canvas or piece of paper. Sometimes it becomes a beautiful surprise or an unexpected discovery. My work becomes a physical manifestation of what is happening in my life at the precise moment of time. It becomes the emotion, the conscious and unconscious collaboration of dreams, visions and the spirituality of where I am in my life at that moment. Art is my voice and expression of what I am thinking or feeling.

I relish in creating my works from mixed media because it reflects how diverse I lead my life. From paintings using acrylics, to altering seemingly benign everyday objects, to creating collages that encompass several elements of different origins, different meanings, and different compositions. When I create, and when it all clicks into place, it feels like the rest of the world dissolves away leaving the only thing in front of me: the artwork that I'm communicating through. Art is a life-long process, evolving alongside everyday life. Art is my definition of where I am and what I'm feeling. Art is color, texture, and movement. It's about creation, an absorption of time, passion and life...Art.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin